Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A Sense of Betrayal: Another Fantasy Congress Update




















Denial. Anger. Bargaining. Depression. Acceptance.

A few days ago, I went through these five stages of the grieving process after I logged onto the home site of "Fantasy Congress" and discovered that the League I'd joined had been reset, and that I would have to draft a brand new team. I'd received no advanced warning from my League's commissioner.

So, after the fifteen minutes it took me to move from denial to acceptance, I tightened my belt, rolled up my sleeves, and selected the legislators who would comprise Bayou Boyz Mark II.

Out of a sense of loyalty and fair play, I tried to select the same members I'd drafted the first time around. Sadly, a few of my competitors had alread snatched up a few of my previous picks.

So, here's my new roster. Many of the names are the same, but there are a few newcomers

All-Stars

Spencer Bachus (R)
Howard Berman (D)
John Murtha (D)
Nancy Pelosi (D)

Supporting Cast

Mary Bono (R)
Elijah Cummings (D)
Jesse L. Jackson (D)
Tom Udall (D)

Rookies

Rodney Alexander (R)
Raul Grijalva (D)
Kendrick Meek (D)
Eleanor Holmes Norton (D)

Upper Senators

Joseph Biden (D)
Ted Kennedy (D)

Lower Senators

Evan Bayh (D)
Hillary Clinton (D)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oba, good to see that you (may have) taken my advice to heart and drafted a few (more) republicans this time around. like i said before, a bad plan is better with the voters than no plan, which is why the dems shouldn't count on much this next go-around. and if you doubt the "no plan" bit, i presume you watched how bored nancy pelosi looked last night (she seemed more focused on looking at her sheet for when her staffers suggested she clap ?), how hillary's interviews were so staged (dear god, talk about a wolf in sheeps clothing, and to think that most americans won't be able to figure that out....clearly the clinton's still utilize some of coach cooper's advice for continually reinventing yourself), and how the democratic response was little more than complaints (all due respect to his son in iraq, but i would have liked to hear a bit more on webb's views of iraq vs vietnam, which he seemed to think went okay). people like that aren't going to get much legislation passed...

chadwin.

oba said...

chadwin,

I actually have one fewer Republican legislator this time around. Someone else snatched up Rep. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana.

As far as the prospects of this Congress getting legislation passed, a lot of the domestic agenda discussed by President Bush mirrors legislation that the current Congress supports.

I thought that Senator Webb gave a good response.

I really didn't pay too much attention to Rep. Pelosi or Sen. Clinton (though I did note that Sen. Obama was seated directly in front of her). As far as "staged interviews" go, I would hope that most Americans would recognize that there's very little about State of the Union addresses which [b]isn't[/b] staged.